New entry Dec 07
Critters is almost 25!
In November, Critters will be 25 years old! Wow! Thanks so much to all of you, who've made it such a resounding success!
Books from Critters!
Check out Books by Critters for books by your fellow Critterfolk, as well as my list of recommended books for writers.
New Book from a Critter Member**NOW IN PRINT EDITION TOO!** Awesome new book, HOW TO IMPROVE YOUR SPECULATIVE FICTION OPENINGS, from a Critter member whose unearthed a shard of The Secret to becoming a pro writer. Really good piece of work. "...if you're at all concerned about story openings, you'd be nuts not to read what Qualkinbush has to say." —Wil McCarthy, author of BLOOM and THE COLLAPSIUM
I was interviewed live on public radio for Critters' birthday, for those who want to listen.
Free Web Sites
Free web sites for authors (and others) are available at www.nyx.net.
ReAnimus Acquires Advent!
ReAnimus Press is pleased to announce the acquisition of the legendary Advent Publishers! Advent is now a subsidiary of ReAnimus Press, and we will continue to publish Advent's titles under the Advent name. Advent was founded in 1956 by Earl Kemp and others, and has published the likes of James Blish, Hal Clement, Robert Heinlein, Damon Knight, E.E. "Doc" Smith, and many others. Advent's high quality titles have won and been finalists for several Hugo Awards, such as The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction and Fantasy and Heinlein's Children. Watch this space for ebook and print editions of all of Advent's current titles!
THE SIGIL TRILOGY: The universe is dying from within... "Great stuff... Really enjoyed it." — SFWA Grandmaster Michael Moorcock
Announcing ReAnimus Press
If you're looking for great stuff to read from bestselling and award-winning authors—look no further! ReAnimus Press was founded by your very own Critter Captain. (And with a 12% Affiliate program.) [More]
More Books on Writing
Beyond the recommended books for and by Critters, here are some more recommended books on writing. These are from the old list at Preditors & Editors (so some may be dated).
- Ten Percent of Nothing by Jim Fisher.
- The Fine Print by Mark Levine, J.D.
- Make a Real Living as a Freelance Writer by Jenna Glatzer
- The Street-Smart Writer by Jenna Glatzer and Daniel Steven
- Finding Go! Matching Questions and Resources in Getting Published by Gary Kessler and Carol Kluz
- The Making of a Best Seller by Brian Hill and Dee Power
- Your First Novel by Ann Rittenberg and Laura Whitcomb
- Plug Your Book by Steve Weber
- The Art & Craft of Fiction: A Practitioner's Manual by Victoria Mixon
- Writing and Publishing: The Librarian's Handbook Edited by Carol Smallwood
And as if that's not enough, here are even more recommended books for writers... error_reporting (E_ALL ^ E_NOTICE); ?>